Lindsay and Company serves a diverse client base, offering a wide range of services to small- and medium-sized businesses, not-for-profit organizations and individuals. Because our firm is relatively small, our clients benefit by getting personalized, timely and quality service. Below we have listed some of the services we offer, along with a brief description. This list is by no means all-inclusive, so please feel free to inquire about a service if you do not see it listed.
Providing financial information to our clients in a timely and accurate manner is a commitment that we feel cannot be compromised. Meaningful, well-organized financial records ensure that your business operations will run more efficiently on a daily basis. Our firm provides a full range of cost effective accounting services including the following:
- General ledger & financial statement preparation. Financial statements prepared in accordance with professional standards can be a useful decision-making tool for management.
- Accounting system setup for new businesses
- Payroll, business property, and sales and use tax return preparation
- Personal financial statements
We prefer to take a proactive vs. reactive approach to tax services. By keeping current on new tax laws and legislation, we are in a position to identify key tax planning opportunities that minimize both your current and future tax liabilities. We provide our individual and business clients with the taxation expertise and knowledge that they deserve throughout the year. Tax services offered include but are not limited to:
- Tax planning & return preparation for:
- Estates, trusts and gift
- Retirement plans
- Not-for-profit organizations
- Tax authority representation
- Tax effects of buying or selling a business
- Estate planning and tax preparation. Effective estate and gift planning facilitates the orderly transfer of assets to your beneficiaries, provides security for your surviving spouse, and can reduce or eliminate the tax due on the transfer of your business and other assets. For business owners, providing for business continuity and succession of ownership is essential. We can guide you through the complex process of getting your financial affairs in order.
Business Planning and Consulting Services
We gauge our success by the personal and business successes of our clients. We can help your business identify areas negatively affecting profitability and growth and develop solutions that are practical and technically sound. In addition to acting as a sounding board for management, we provide comprehensive, flexible strategies that address the issues affecting your business. The following is just a few of the areas in which we provide consulting services:
- Business entity selection. Choosing the form of entity of your business (e.g. "S" corporation, sole proprietor, limited liability company…) is a crucial decision that can have longstanding tax implications, positive or negative. We can assist you in evaluating the pros and cons of each entity type to help you determine the most advantageous form of business for your company.
- Cash flow and budgeting analysis. A business can be profitable and still run into trouble due to cash flow issues. We can forecast and evaluate your company's financial condition, estimate financing requirements, and track cash-flow sources and uses.
- Financial forecasts and projections. Forecasting is a necessity when trying to effectively manage and lead a business to profitability. From simple projections to complex financial modeling, our experienced staff can assist you in achieving your company's financial goals.
- Buying and selling a business. Structuring the purchase or sale of a business properly is a critical step in the process of buying or selling a business. Our competent staff has experience to guide you through the acquisition/disposition process by addressing such issues as cash flow analysis and tax considerations.
- Business succession planning. Effective coordination of the transition of your business to your successors is critical to ensure its continued success once you decide to remove yourself from the company's day to day operations. With a solid background in tax and other financial matters, we are fully qualified to address the complex issues of business continuation and can assist you in developing a strategically sound plan.
- Fraud prevention and detection. We use accounting and auditing skills to help you evaluate fraud risk in your business and assist you in developing a fraud prevention program. In the case of suspected fraud, we analyze the financial records to determine the extent of the financial loss and illegal accounting practices.
- Pension and profit sharing plans. Qualified retirement plans (e.g. defined-contribution or defined benefit plans, Keoghs, SEPs...) can provide significant tax advantages. We work with your financial advisor to assist you in selecting the type of pension plan that will best serve your retirement needs and those of your employees.
Financial Reporting Services
We view our role in the financial reporting process as an opportunity to provide constructive solutions for maximizing your company's profitability and efficiency. We provide financial reporting on all three levels of assurance:
- Audit. An intensive examination with the highest level or assurance, for businesses, non-profit organizations and employee benefit plans
- Review. Less in scope than an audit; some analytical procedures conducted; limited assurance
- Compilation. Based upon client information provided; no assurance
If you have reporting needs that don't require an audit of financial statements, but do require procedures to be applied to your financial reporting processes and controls, we can also provide an agreed-upon procedures (AUP) engagement. Whether you are preparing to sell your business, purchase a business, or need agreed-upon procedures for other reasons, an AUP engagement may benefit you.